Special Custom Requests
Thanks for giving me that chance to help make your knife truly one-of-a-kind.
I have two kinds of 'special requests'...
The first is a 'soft' request - you're not specifically asking me to make you a set of scales that you will then buy from me, but suggesting that if I produce a certain color combo or configuration that you might be interested in buying something like that. I may or may not decide to follow through, but if I do, I usually give the person who suggested the design the right of first refusal (they get the first crack at it)
The second kind of request is a request that I make a specific design to your specifications with the understanding that if I produce a reasonable facsimile, you will purchase it.
To make the scales you want for the second type of special request, I must have a good idea of what you're looking for...
The best way to do this is to include a photo of my previous work that you like, or of something you would like to see me work from. I do not copy either my own or other people's work, and everything I make is one-of-a-kind. I will, however, gladly draw inspiration from any source, so yeah, a photo is best - send it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a photo is unavailable (and you're unable to accurately draw what you want), please describe, in as much detail as possible, what it is you want.
Things I need to know:
- Include burl wood or not?
- If so, maple or buckeye (or other, if I can get it)?
- 'Natural' (vacuum stabilized, but un-dyed) or double, or even triple dyed? What color(s)?
- What about aluminum honeycomb - yes or no?
- Finally, what overall color(s)? If you are trying for 'team colors' or 'corporate' colors (John Deere green, for example), please let me know as accurate color information is available for most major sports teams and corporate logos...not that I guarantee I can exactly duplicate those colors, but I may be able to come pretty close.
Please be sure to tell me if there are any special size requirements. My standard knife scale size is .375 x 2 x 5.5" (+/- 1/16) but I can make larger or smaller.
Once I receive your request I will respond by email, probably with more questions. Once we get the design finalized I will provide a timeline and send you an invoice for the deposit (if required*). As soon as I finish your scales I will send a photo for your approval and if all is good, arrange for full payment and shipping.
Once we have an established business relationship I generally do not require a deposit, but, as usual, a few flakes have ruined it for everyone, so now, until we know each other a little better, I usually require a small deposit to begin work.